What is the Best Programming Language to Learn?
The tech sector continues to explode with the take up of smartphones, tablets and other devices. Demand for programmers has never been higher and the salaries on offer are higher than many other jobs.
The best programming language to learn depends upon which sector you work in. Enterprise systems are required to perform complex functions in an organized manner and tend to use languages like C# and Java.
IEEE Spectrum conducted a recent survey to rank programming languages by popularity. We’ve compiled a list of the top 7 most in-demand programming languages.
- Java. Java was created by Sun Microsystems in the nineties. It’s one of the most in-demand languages used for web-based content, games, mobile apps and enterprise software. It’s also used for the Android operating system. It’s a class-based and object-oriented language which is designed to run across multiple software platforms.
- C++. Originally designed to add enhancements to the C language, C++ offers object-oriented features within an intermediate-level language. C++ is the language behind Adobe programs and the Firefox browser. It has a wide variety of uses in developing applications, systems software, video games, and server applications.
- Python. Python is seen as an easy language to learn for beginners due to its compact syntax and readability. It uses fewer lines of code to express concepts than other languages. It’s a server-side scripting language used in mobile apps and websites. Python is used in popular web applications like Pinterest and Instagram. It’s used heavily by Yahoo and Google.
- Objective-C. This object-oriented programming language powers the Apple operating system. It is the language behind Apple’s OS X, iOS and APIs. Its huge demand comes from its use in creating iPhone apps.
- PHP. PHP is a popular free programming language much loved by web developers. This server-side scripting language is used for app development and creating interactive websites. It is embedded directly into an HTML document rather than accessing a separate file. PHP is used in millions of websites including Digg, WordPress, and Facebook.
So, in terms of demand Java appears to be the best programming language to learn. This is no surprise as can be used in so many different areas like Android, server-side web application development and enterprise applications.