Java Development Company
- Interesting facts about Java
- What Makes Java So Popular
- Pros and Cons of Java
- What Types of Applications Java Can be Used for
- Current Demand for Java Developers for Hire
- Key Skills and Experience for Java Developer
- What is the Average Java Developer Salary (US, UK, and Ukraine)
- How to Hire a Java Developer or Java Development Team
- Online Java Communities
- Java Conferences and Hackathons
Since 1995 Java is adapting and changing while being an inspiration for many programming languages. Nevertheless, Java remains an irreplaceable developing tool and one of the most popular programming languages.
Looking for dedicated and committed Java developers?
With Echo, finding experienced and reliable IT-professionals is easy. We offer the best programmers for nearshoring and offshoring. List your expectations and requirements, check CVs, and interview chosen candidates.
Echo guarantees that our developers will be dedicated to your company’s mission, vision, and values. Our Java programmers will do their best to deliver a high-quality product and exceed your expectations. In order to fulfill all of your needs, we offer you to choose from our CV database, which includes software and application development professionals with different experience and levels of expertise. Either you need Junior or Senior Java development specialist, we can assure you that all of them are goal-oriented, motivated, and constantly improving their skills.
Choosing offshoring or nearshoring will let you focus your attention on your product. Echo will do the rest ‒ provide working space and equipment as well as HR, payroll, taxes, and retention ‒ to execute your project on time and ensure the best quality of work.
Interesting facts about Java
Java is well thought-through and user-friendly programming language. Since 1995, the year of its release, Java is evolving and improving with every version. With a large and active community, Java is the number one choice.
Initially, this language was created in order to replace C++ and C. Their creators intended to solve the number of issues these languages had. With Java, developers could stop reworking and rewriting applications for a specific type of hardware or each new release of an operating system. Moreover, it allowed applications to be easily scalable and low-maintenance.
In 2018 the last version was released. Java 11 offers flight recorder, new garbage collector, better TLS security level, and new interfaces. This way, developers can expect easier profiling and debugging and reduced garbage collection time.
So there is no wonder that this language became so widespread and stays the developers’ first choice. Today, according to statistics (source: grokonez.com):
- Approximately 10 million developers are using Java
- Almost 90% of computers in the US run Java
- 97% of Enterprise computers run Java
- Around 125 millions of TVs run Java
- Around 3 billion smartphones run Java
What Makes Java So Popular
The word “Java” is familiar to everyone, even those that have never worked in the field of IT.
But the secret of popularity is relatively simple.
It can be attributed to these facts:
- This language is easy to learn. One can start using it with just a basic understanding of programming;
- It is evolving. For more than twenty years this language develops and adjusts to the needs of information technologies;
- It is machine independent and can be used on Windows, Linux as well as Mac;
- A great community of professionals with different areas of expertise;
- It is everywhere ‒ from Android and Web Applications to Software tools.
Despite its old age, Java stays well-liked, according to StackOverflow 2018 Survey and TIOBE Index.
We can be sure that the demand for Java developers is predicted to grow.
Pros and Cons of Java
However, staying at the top of the list is not easy. That is why Java moves with the times and offers numerous advantages, such as:
- Simplicity. Compared to other programming languages, Java is much simpler. Writing, compiling, debugging, and learning with Java is easier.
- Security. Security is a part of Java’s design. Using Security Manager allows modifying access rights and rules for each application.
- Remote Collaboration. Remote Method Invocation is at the core of Java. This tool for distributed computing allows sharing programs and data among several computers.
- Memory Management. With automatic memory management, Java developers don’t need to create the code for allocation and deallocation of memory manually.
- Multithreading. Java allows threads to run independently, not affecting each other. Thus this feature makes Java perfect for games and applications with a lot of animation.
- Object-orientation. Incorporating object-oriented programming Java offers developers fewer errors, more organized programs, legacy code modernization, and the option of reusing objects in other programs.
Despite many pros, Java has some drawbacks. Among them are:
- Desktop Feel and Look. Java developers can choose from several GUI builders, but desktop versions of UI have some disadvantages.
- Speed and Performance. Being a high-level language Java is often criticized for poor performance and speed. The main reasons are the abstraction and compilation as well as thread deadlocks and bad caching in some cases. Luckily, these problems can be solved with planning.
Understanding all the advantages and disadvantages is quite important. It will help learning, understanding, and operating this programming language in the future.
What Types of Applications Java Can be Used for
As it was mentioned before, Java can be found everywhere. Being around for more than twenty years, this language influenced multiple technologies we use today. It also became a tool for creating numerous diverse applications. However, some fields use Java way more frequently than the other:
- Web applications. Java is the best choice for developing applications where the performance rates are less important than the possibility of working within various environments. Another perk is that Java web services can easily work with applications developed in other languages.
- Mobile applications. Android is based on Java, so the development of any kind of application or game is possible. This makes Java the leading platform for application development.
- Enterprise applications. Efficient memory management and security, probably, are the main reasons why Java is a popular tool for the development of enterprise applications. Java is also scalable, which is another advantage. This makes Java the most trusted programming language in the fields of finance and banking.
- Desktop applications. For the development of a desktop application Java offers Swings, AWT, and JavaFX. Java is a cross-platform language, so there are no problems with the compatibility of versions, operational systems, and platforms.
- Applications for science. Being low-maintenance, highly portable, and secure, Java is the best choice for science-related applications. Especially those that require complex calculations.
- Embedded systems and technologies. Televisions, SIM-cards, utility meters, and blue-ray disk players ‒ all of these use some kind of embedded Java technology. Java is used both for electromechanical systems and microchips.
- Software. Both commercial and open-source projects use Java. Even some software for development of Java applications was created with Java.
Advantages of Java are indisputable. Such a wide range of possibilities and options can be a good reason to choose Java and assemble a team of dedicated professionals in the field.
Current Demand for Java Developers for Hire
The demand for Java developers is on the rise. Due to a constantly growing market and evolving technologies, there are more jobs for graduates with a computer science degree than there are available candidates.
For instance, the United States experiences a shortage of Java developers, which leads to harsh competition between companies. More than 10 thousands vacancies for Java professionals are posted monthly in the US. The interest of job seekers in Java positions tends to grow as well.
The same situation is in Western Europe. Such countries as Denmark and Finland choose nearshoring to solve this problem and hire specialists (including Java developers and development teams) from Eastern Europe.
Moreover, because Java remains a popular programming language, the situation is unlikely to change in the near future. Specialists predict that the demand for Java application and software experts will grow in the next 5 years.
Key Skills and Experience for Java Developer
It is almost impossible for a developer to know all of the existing Java technologies. Nonetheless, there is a list of key experiences and skills necessary for every Java developer.
So every Java programmer should know:
- Types of constructors;
- Differences between map, set, and list;
- Differences between abstract classes and interfaces;
- Non-access modifiers and 4 parts of access modifiers;
- Concepts of object-oriented programming;
- Synchronization and multithreading;
- Checked and unchecked exceptions;
- File IO and Serialization;
- Categories of design patterns;
- Java keywords;
- Memory management (including garbage collection and object allocation).
It should also be mentioned that every Java developer has to have database knowledge, which includes:
- Database drivers;
- SQL queries;
- Normalization and denormalization;
- Stored procedures;
Needless to say that necessary knowledge of technologies also depends on the field in which Java developer works. For example, if one decides to work as a web developer, he should learn:
- Web frameworks;
- Service-oriented architecture and web services;
- Markup language;
- JNDI;Front-end frameworks (like Dojo, Angular, Vue, JFS, and React);
- Interceptors, filters, and servlets;
- n-Tier and MVC architectures.
UI developer needs to know frameworks (Java FX, Swing, AWT or SWT) and applets. And distributed networks developer should be familiar with ORMs, RMI, Sockets, and interface APIs.
Every Java developer also has to go with the pace of time and follow the modern Java technologies. But knowing old and existing Java technologies makes it easier to learn new ones.
What is the Average Java Developer Salary (US, UK, and Ukraine)
If a company decides to hire either Java developer or the whole team of Java developers, the average salary is an important question to discuss.
The yearly salary of Java developer in the US varies by state, but the average number is $102,696. (source: https://www.indeed.com)
If you want to hire a specialist in Java development from the UK, the average annual salary for this position is £40,681 ($52,810) (source: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk).
According to DOU.ua, the average yearly salary of Java developer in Ukraine fluctuates from $6,840 (for a Junior Java developer) to $48,000 (for a Senior Java developer). (source: https://jobs.dou.ua)
Obviously, it should be mentioned that salaries also highly depend on the roles, scope of responsibilities, demand on the market, and projects as well.
However, comparing salaries of Java developers in the United States, UK, and Ukraine, nearshoring and offshoring appear to be a more cost-efficient option.
Hiring a remote Java developer from Ukraine you can save approximately from $10,000 to $50,000.
And these savings are only getting larger if you choose nearshoring or offshoring and hire a remote team of Java specialists.
Why Would Anyone Hire a Java Programmer Online
The decision to hire a remote Java development team is sometimes hard to make. However, choosing nearshoring or offshoring has a number of undeniable advantages.
- Salaries of remote Java developers may be lower than the salaries of your local specialists;
- You don’t need to care about relocations, vacations and sick days off;
- You don’t need to organize the workplace and purchase equipment for your team;
- You have a large pool of candidates, which means more chances of finding a perfect candidate with specific skills.
Moreover, nearshoring and offshoring becomes a common practice for both US and European companies. It saves both time and money for your company, promising the best result.
How to Hire a Java Developer or Java Development Team
There are a few well-known ways of finding Java development experts for your project.
If you want to find the best of the best, you have to actively look in:
Online Java Communities
Because of Java’s extreme popularity, Java online community is active and big.
First of all, you can try checking Q&A websites and forums for software developers, such as CodeProject (https://www.codeproject.com/) or StackOverflow (https://stackoverflow.com/).
Reddit (https://www.reddit.com) also has a number of subReddits where you can find Java specialist of different levels.
StudyJava.org (http://studyjava.org/) is a place where people learn and discuss Java so it may be a great place to look for a Junior Java development specialist.
The title of the website JavaWorld speaks for itself – plenty of Java experts can be found there.
Java Conferences and Hackathons
If you prefer personal communication, you should follow and visit various Java conferences and hackathons. They are usually visited by a great number of software professionals, which can become a part of your team.
Among big Java events in the US are DevNexus (https://devnexus.com/), QCon (https://qconferences.com/), and JavaOne (https://www.oracle.com/code-one/). JavaLand (https://www.javaland.eu), held in Europe, offers extensive lectures and training program as well as community activities.
Hire Java Developer in Ukraine
With Echo hiring Java Developer or even the whole Java Development team is as easy as ever. Either you choose offshoring or nearshoring, we are ready to assist.
- First of all, you need to specify and list your requirements for a development specialist.
- After that, our team looks for suitable candidates in our CV database of highly skilled and motivated Java programmers. Our company’s database includes specialist with different levels of experience from Junior to Senior.
- Therefore, with Echo you will definitely hire the developer you need.
- After you personally interview chosen candidates, you pick software or application engineers that suit your requirements.
- Then we provide your Java development team with a comfortable workplace and all the necessary equipment.
We also offer you the support of our office managers, accountants, tax specialists, and HR managers that will assist you in our cooperation from the first day. Echo will provide you with the professional advice, constant guidance, and support for the duration of our collaboration.
Are you looking for Java developer or Java development team?
Are you interested in offshoring or nearshoring?
Echo team is devoted and committed to providing you with the best experience with Java experts.