Master grammar with the bestselling workbook for learners of French
Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar is the go-to guide for clear, precise explanations of all aspects of French grammar: from the present tense of regular verbs to direct object pronouns, from the differences between savoir and connaître to the use of pronouns y and en. This comprehensive guide will also give you plenty of practice in using your language skills. And this new edition is accompanied by flashcards and audio recordings, available online and via app, that will provide a new dimension and flexibility to your study.
THIS BOOK MAKES MASTERING GRAMMAR EASY WITH:
• Clear, down-to-earth, easy-to-follow explanations that make even the most complex principles easy to understand
• More than 350 exercises, with a detailed answer key for each progress checks
• Example sentences that illustrate and clarify each grammatical point
• Practical and high-frequency vocabulary used throughout
Author(s): Annie Heminway
Tired of complicated Java web frameworks that just get in your way? Stripes is a lightweight, practical framework that lets you write lean and mean code without a bunch of XML configuration files. Stripes is designed to do a lot of the common work for you, while being flexible enough to adapt to your requirements. This book will show you how to use Stripes to its full potential, so that you can easily develop professional, full-featured web applications. As a bonus, you’ll also get expert advice from the creator of Stripes, Tim Fennell.
As a Java developer, you want to leverage your knowledge and the wealth of Java libraries and tools. But when it comes to web development, many frameworks seem over-engineered and too complex. They have a steep learning curve, and it’s just too difficult to get them to do exactly what you need because of their “closed-box” design.
Stripes brings simplicity back to Java web development. You’ll be up and running in minutes, and can go a long way with just a few simple concepts. You’ll spend your time developing your application, not maintaining gobs of configuration. Because Stripes is very transparent, you will understand exactly what is going on from request to response.
The popularity of Stripes keeps increasing because of its clean design and extensibility. With this complete tutorial and reference, you can master Stripes and take advantage of its productivity in web application development. You’ll tailor the framework to your requirements, not the other way around!
This book is packed with explanations and examples so that you learn practical problem-solving techniques. You’ll be able to “wrap your head around the framework” and fully understand how Stripes works. When a client requests a feature, you’ll answer “yes” with confidence because you’re using a framework that lets you get the results that you need without getting in your way. Because of its open design, Stripes lets you easily integrate your favorite tools: tag libraries, AJAX frameworks, ORM solutions, dependency injectors, and more.
Author(s): Frederic Daoud
3. Java: A Beginner’s Guide, Sixth Edition (2014)
Essential Java Programming Skills–Made Easy!
Fully updated for Java Platform, Standard Edition 8 (Java SE 8), Java: A Beginner’s Guide, Sixth Edition gets you started programming in Java right away. Bestselling programming author Herb Schildt begins with the basics, such as how to create, compile, and run a Java program. He then moves on to the keywords, syntax, and constructs that form the core of the Java language. This Oracle Press resource also covers some of Java’s more advanced features, including multithreaded programming, generics, and Swing. Of course, new Java SE 8 features such as lambda expressions and default interface methods are described. An introduction to JavaFX, Java’s newest GUI, concludes this step-by-step tutorial.
Designed for Easy Learning:
- Key Skills & Concepts — Chapter-opening lists of specific skills covered in the chapter
- Ask the Expert — Q&A sections filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- Try This — Hands-on exercises that show you how to apply your skills
- Self Tests — End-of-chapter quizzes to reinforce your skills
- Annotated Syntax — Example code with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated
The book’s code examples are available FREE for download.
Author(s): Herbert Schildt
Written by leading information security educators, this fully revised, full-color computer security textbook covers CompTIA’s fastest-growing credential, CompTIA Security+.Principles of Computer Security, Fourth Edition is a student-tested, introductory computer security textbook that provides comprehensive coverage of computer and network security fundamentals in an engaging and dynamic full-color design.
In addition to teaching key computer security concepts, the textbook also fully prepares you for CompTIA Security+ exam SY0-401 with 100% coverage of all exam objectives. Each chapter begins with a list of topics to be covered and features sidebar exam and tech tips, a chapter summary, and an end-of-chapter assessment section that includes key term, multiple choice, and essay quizzes as well as lab projects. Electronic content includes CompTIA Security+ practice exam questions and a PDF copy of the book.
- CompTIA Approved Quality Content (CAQC)
- Electronic content features two simulated practice exams in the Total Tester exam engine and a PDF eBook
- Supplemented by Principles of Computer Security Lab Manual, Fourth Edition, available separately
- White and Conklin are two of the most well-respected computer security educators in higher education
- Instructor resource materials for adopting instructors include: Instructor Manual, PowerPoint slides featuring artwork from the book, and a test bank of questions for use as quizzes or exams
- Answers to the end of chapter sections are not included in the book and are only available to adopting instructors
Learn how to:
- Ensure operational, organizational, and physical security
- Use cryptography and public key infrastructures (PKIs)
- Secure remote access, wireless networks, and virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Authenticate users and lock down mobile devices
- Harden network devices, operating systems, and applications
- Prevent network attacks, such as denial of service, spoofing, hijacking, and
- Combat viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and rootkits
- Manage e-mail, instant messaging, and web security
- Explore secure software development requirements
- Implement disaster recovery and business continuity measures
- Handle computer forensics and incident response
- Understand legal, ethical, and privacy issues
Author(s): Wm. Arthur Conklin, Greg White
Author(s): James Allen
Use Raspberry Pi with Java to create innovative devices that power the internet of things!
Raspberry Pi with Java: Programming the Internet of Things (IoT) fills an important gap in knowledge between seasoned Java developers and embedded-hardware gurus, taking a project-based approach to skills development from which both hobbyists and professionals can learn. By starting with simple projects based on open-source libraries such as Pi4J, hobbyists can get immediate results without a significant investment in time or hardware.
Later projects target simplified industrial use cases where professionals can start to apply their skills to practical problems in the fields of home automation, healthcare, and robotics. This progression prepares you to be an active participant in the IoT revolution that is reshaping our lives.
For the hobbyist:
- Hardware used in projects is affordable and easily accessible
- Follows a project-based learning approach with a gradual learning curve
- Projects are based on open-source code repositories with commercial friendly licenses
For the professional computer engineer:
- Uses an industry-standard platform that allows for high performance, secure, production-ready applications
- Introduces Java SE Embedded for large devices and Java ME Embedded for small devices
- Code is portable to a wide variety of ARM and MIPS based platforms
- Provides practical skill development with advanced projects in the fields of home automation, healthcare, and robotics
Author(s): Stephen Chin, James Weaver
The latest tactics for thwarting digital attacks
“Our new reality is zero-day, APT, and state-sponsored attacks. Today, more than ever, security professionals need to get into the hacker’s mind, methods, and toolbox to successfully deter such relentless assaults. This edition brings readers abreast with the latest attack vectors and arms them for these continually evolving threats.” –Brett Wahlin, CSO, Sony Network Entertainment
“Stop taking punches–let’s change the game; it’s time for a paradigm shift in the way we secure our networks, and Hacking Exposed 7 is the playbook for bringing pain to our adversaries.” –Shawn Henry, former Executive Assistant Director, FBI
Bolster your system’s security and defeat the tools and tactics of cyber-criminals with expert advice and defense strategies from the world-renowned Hacking Exposed team. Case studies expose the hacker’s latest devious methods and illustrate field-tested remedies. Find out how to block infrastructure hacks, minimize advanced persistent threats, neutralize malicious code, secure web and database applications, and fortify UNIX networks. Hacking Exposed 7: Network Security Secrets & Solutions contains all-new visual maps and a comprehensive “countermeasures cookbook.”
- Obstruct APTs and web-based meta-exploits
- Defend against UNIX-based root access and buffer overflow hacks
- Block SQL injection, spear phishing, and embedded-code attacks
- Detect and terminate rootkits, Trojans, bots, worms, and malware
- Lock down remote access using smartcards and hardware tokens
- Protect 802.11 WLANs with multilayered encryption and gateways
- Plug holes in VoIP, social networking, cloud, and Web 2.0 services
- Learn about the latest iPhone and Android attacks and how to protect yourself
Author(s): Stuart McClure, Joel Scambray
Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-411 – and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of administering Windows Server 2012 R2. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA level.
Focus on the expertise measured by these objectives:
- Deploy, manage, and maintain servers
- Configure file and print services
- Configure network services and access
- Configure a Network Policy Server (NPS) infrastructure
- Configure Active Directory
- Configure and manage Group Policy
This Microsoft Exam Ref:
- Organizes its coverage by objectives.
- Features strategic, what-if scenarios to challenge candidates.
- Assumes you have experience administering Windows Server 2012 R2 core infrastructure.
Author(s): Charlie Russel
Author(s): Yiye Avila
10. Computer Concepts: Illustrated Introductory (2012)
Author(s): June Jamrich Parsons, Dan Oja
11. Embedded C Programming and the Atmel AVR (2006)
Author(s): Richard H. Barnett, Sarah Cox
Secure your ICS and SCADA systems the battle-tested Hacking Exposed™ way
This hands-on guide exposes the devious methods cyber threat actors use to compromise the hardware and software central to petroleum pipelines, electrical grids, and nuclear refineries. Hacking Exposed Industrial Control Systems: ICS and SCADA Security Secrets and Solutions shows, step-by-step, how to implement and maintain an ICS-focused risk mitigation framework that is targeted, efficient, and cost-effective. The book arms you with the skills necessary to defend against attacks that are debilitating―and potentially deadly. See how to assess risk, perform ICS-specific threat modeling, carry out penetration tests using “ICS safe” methods, and block malware. Throughout, the authors use case studies of notorious attacks to illustrate vulnerabilities alongside actionable, ready-to-deploy countermeasures.
Learn how to:
• Assess your exposure and develop an effective risk management plan
• Adopt the latest ICS-focused threat intelligence techniques
• Use threat modeling to create realistic risk scenarios
• Implement a customized, low-impact ICS penetration-testing strategy
• See how attackers exploit industrial protocols
• Analyze and fortify ICS and SCADA devices and applications
• Discover and eliminate undisclosed “zero-day” vulnerabilities
• Detect, block, and analyze malware of all varieties
Author(s): Clint Bodungen, Bryan Singer