The book's high-level overview and concrete examples will help experienced PHP web developers get started with Laravel right away. By the time you reach the last page, you should feel comfortable writing an entire application in Laravel from scratch.
Dive into several features of this framework, including:
- Blade, Laravel's powerful, custom templating tool
- Tools for gathering, validating, normalizing, and filtering user-provided data
- Laravel's Eloquent ORM for working with the application's databases
- The Illuminate request object, and its role in the application lifecycle
- PHPUnit, Mockery, and PHPSpec for testing your PHP code
- Laravel's tools for writing JSON and RESTful APIs
- Interfaces for file system access, sessions, cookies, caches, and search
- Tools for implementing queues, jobs, events, and WebSocket event publishing
- Laravel's specialty packages: Scout, Passport, Cashier, Echo, Elixir, Valet, and Socialite
Author(s): Matt Stauffer
2. Full-Stack Vue.js 2 and Laravel 5: Bring the frontend and backend together with Vue, Vuex, and Laravel (2017)
Learn to build professional full-stack web apps with Vue.js and Laravel
- End-to-end guide on full-stack development with Vue.js 2 and Laravel 5
- Developing modern user interfaces with a reusable component-based architecture
- Use Webpack to improve applications performance and development workflow
- Explore the features of Vuex to build applications that are powerful, consistent, and maintainable
In this book, you will build a room-booking website named “Vuebnb”. This project will show you the core features of Vue, Laravel and other state-of-the-art web development tools and techniques.
The book begins with a thorough introduction to Vue.js and its core concepts like data binding, directives and computed properties, with each concept being explained first, then put into practice in the case-study project.
You will then use Laravel to set up a web service and integrate the front end into a full-stack app. You will be shown a best-practice development workflow using tools like Webpack and Laravel Mix.
With the basics covered, you will learn how sophisticated UI features can be added using ES+ syntax and a component-based architecture. You will use Vue Router to make the app multi-page and Vuex to manage application state.
Finally, you will learn how to use Laravel Passport for authenticated AJAX requests between Vue and the API, completing the full-stack architecture. Vuebnb will then be prepared for production and deployed to a free Heroku cloud server.
What you will learn
- Core features of Vue.js to create sophisticated user interfaces
- Build a secure backend API with Laravel
- Learn a state-of-the-art web development workflow with Webpack
- Full-stack app design principles and best practices
- Learn to deploy a full-stack app to a cloud server and CDN
- Managing complex application state with Vuex
- Securing a web service with Laravel Passport
Who This Book Is For
This book targets developers who are new to Vue.js, Laravel, or both, and are seeking a practical, best-practice approach to development with these technologies.
Table of Contents
- Hello Vue: An Introduction To Vue.js
- Prototyping Vuebnb, Your First Vue.js Project
- Hello Laravel: Getting Started With Laravel
- Building A Web Service With Laravel
- Integrating Laravel And Vue.js With Webpack
- Composing Widgets With Vue.js Components
- Building A Multi-Page App With Vue
- Managing Your Application State With Vuex
- Adding A User Login & API Authentication With Passport
- Deploying A Full-Stack App To The Cloud
Author(s): Anthony Gore
3. Learning Laravel’s Eloquent (2015)
Develop amazing data-based applications with Eloquent, the Laravel framework ORM
About This Book
- Build highly efficient applications with the Eloquent ORM using an expressive syntax
- Get to grips with the power of relationships and how Eloquent handles them
- Go beyond simple theory with various step-by-step code examples
Who This Book Is For
This book is perfect for developers with some basic knowledge of PHP development, but are new to the Eloquent ORM. However, developers with previous Laravel and Eloquent experience will also benefit from the in-depth analysis of specific classes and methodologies in the book.
What You Will Learn
- Configure a new Laravel project and set up database connections in minutes
- Build and work with models to handle your data with an expressive syntax
- Define relations between your models to create complex functionalities
- Query your database using relations simply
- Use collections to gather results and perform many operations on them with a powerful data structure
- Use the Eloquent ORM without Laravel
- Control your models during the request lifecycle with event listeners and observers
Learning Laravel’s Eloquent starts off by taking you through setting up your first project and guiding you in creating a perfect Laravel environment. You will learn how to build the right database structure with the Migrations system and the Schema Builder class. Next, you will be introduced to the main element of Eloquent: the model. After treating the model as a single, isolated entity, you will learn how to create relations between them. You will be taken through organizing, filtering, and sorting your data with collections. You will then learn to enhance an application with new features using events and by creating new observers. Towards the end of the book, you will discover how to install, configure, and use the Eloquent ORM without Laravel. The book concludes by walking you through how to deal with complex problems and build advanced and flexible systems.
Author(s): Francesco Malatesta
4. Laravel 5 Essentials (2015)
Explore the fundamentals of Laravel, one of the most expressive and robust PHP frameworks available
About This Book
- Create a dynamic web application that can read and write data to a database
- Improve your PHP skills and develop a new outlook on solving programming issues
- A step-by-step guide that covers the different steps involved in creating a complete Laravel application in an easy-to-understand manner
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for PHP web developers who have an interest in Laravel and who know the basics of the framework in theory, but don’t really know how to use it in practice. No experience of using frameworks is required, but it is assumed you are at least familiar with building dynamic websites in PHP already.
What You Will Learn
- Set up a development environment for working with Laravel apps
- Create a working Laravel application from start to finish
- Interact with data and discover Eloquent, Laravel’s own ORM
- Create and run migrations and seeds
- Simplify command-line tasks by building Artisan commands
- Protect your app by securing it from common security vulnerabilities
- Perform end-to-end testing after learning the basics of testing in Laravel
- Learn about Laravel’s other features including service providers, packages, queue workers, and helpers for working with strings and arrays
Laravel has established itself as one of the most popular PHP frameworks over the past couple of years. Its popularity comes due to its ease of use, expressive syntax, and the number of components it has, allowing you to achieve practically any task in a modern PHP application.
If you’ve not had the opportunity to dive into Laravel yet, then this book will be the perfect companion, as it covers the fundamentals Laravel is built on in a thorough yet easy-to-follow manner. To make this book your best learning source, we have covered integral topics such as preparing an environment for working with Laravel applications, creating your first Laravel application from start to finish, a tour of Laravel’s ORM Eloquent, and more advanced topics such as testing, user authentication, and security. Being one of the most interesting features in Laravel, we also cover an overview of Artisan, including descriptions of some of its tasks. Post this, we talk about testing and security. By the end of this book, you will be able to create robust PHP websites and web applications quickly and efficiently.
Author(s): Martin Bean
Learn about dependency injection, interfaces, service providers, SOLID design, and more with practical and real-world code examples. This book covers everything you need to get started in application development with Laravel 5.3. Beginning Laravel covers features such as method injection, contracts, and authentication.
After reading this book, you can develop any application using Laravel 5. It details all you need to know, including the model-view-controller pattern, SQLite databases, routing, authorization, and building CRUD applications.
- Work with the new Laravel framework and its new features
- Develop web applications with Laravel
- Absorb the concepts of authentication and database migration
- Manage databases with Eloquent ORM
- Use middleware, contracts, and facades
Author(s): Sanjib Sinha
Author(s): Gregory Blake